Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Stripes are on.

Finally finished painting the stripes, not cleaned up but they are at least in place. Still much work to do, She has been sitting on the easel for months.
 This is the piece I took to Art Walk to paint while standing there not selling much. One of the other "artists" actually asked me why I didn't just use a Sharpie. I doubt I do Art Walk next season.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My time at the Kansas City Costume Company

A view into the shop, at that time there were different productions being put together going all over the country.
Stylized Chefs hats for the "Whos"

 I first started working at Kansas City Costume Company about ten years ago as a stitcher. I was the rental manager for a few years before I decided to head to L.A. to try t.v. and film. I enjoyed my time in K.C. and have maintained a good working relationship with the company, returning with projects of my own or in the case of the Grinch, helping when they need it.

I made 2 of these Grinch Santa jackets, one "mean"version with fake fur trim and another glitter and feather version when he gets a heart.

Each of the "Who" boys has a detachable tail. I made six different tails.

The direction for each was "like an elaborate Christmas Bow"

The Grinch who's hands I made that he stole Christmas with.

 I worked again at Kansas City Costume Company last month on "The Grinch" musical. The older tour came into the shop for refurbishment and a brand new tour was built for Madison Square Garden. One of my projects was making the gloves for the Grinch himself. 

I sculpted the fingers, made molds, then cast them in foam.
Painted each finger with acrylic paint.
I made the gloves from dyed mesh Lycra, attached the fingers and painted them in. 
I sculpted the fingers out of plasticine clay, baked them, and made silicone molds. Then poured foam rubber into my molds. After sanding, I painted each one. One of the original actors wanted finger tip hair, which weren't part of the first design so they had difficulty keeping the hair in place. I added an indention in the sculpt to hold the hair more securely. I sewed the gloves, four total, and attached the fingers using a plumbers glue. Finger tip pads from suede were also applied with plumbers glue. My final step was painting the fingers and gloves so they appeared seamless. More hair was vented on the gloves  by a wig maker. The finished gloves were in my humble opinion better than the original.